There are now three different ways you can enter grades in Scholaric.
Today I have released goal tracking in Scholaric. Scholaric has always automatically tracked total hours. This was useful for some, but users have asked for other types of tracking, such as:
- Hours in "core" subjects
- Lessons in some or all subjects or some courses
- Attendance, according to various definitions of a "day"
Today's release provides this tracking, and other capability that you can customize to track against your local homeschool regulations or personal milestones.
The goal is the named statistic we are tracking, such as Core Hours.
The goal metric is the unit being tracked, either hours, lessons, or days. Hour tracking sums the time entered in lessons. Lesson tracking counts the number of lessons. Day tracking counts the number of days that a threshold number of hours or lessons were met or exceeded. Day tracking is used to track attendance. For many of you, 1 complete lesson in a day is your definition of a day of attendance.
The goal target is the number of units to accomplish, in terms of the metric, such as 200 hours.
The current period is the date range you are using to track your data - either your school year, semester, or quarter, such as the 2011-2012 school year. Goals track within the current period. When the current period is switched, the goals automatically track in that period.
The goal scope limits the counting of the metric to one or more subjects or courses, such as Mathematics and Science, or can include all data.
A goal is applied to either a single student, or all students.
A new goals page shows the completed, planned, and total values for each goal. The goals page allows editing of goals, creation of new goals, and deleting of existing goals. Links to the goals page have been added to the dashboard, and on the menu bar atop each page.
One goal is designated the primary goal for a student. This goal is special in that it appears in the dashboard. The primary goal is indicated by a gold star. Primary goals may not be deleted.
On the goals page (not the dashboard) the various parts of a goal can be edited:
- Edit the goal name by clicking on it
- Change the metric by clicking on it - this will allow you to change between hours, lessons, and days (attendance).
- Switch between all users and the current student by clicking on the owner
- Select a different primary goal by clicking on an unfilled star
- Finally, edit the scope of the goal by clicking on the scope definition, which by default reads "Tracking all subjects". This will allow you to track specific subjects or courses